CHARACTERISTICS OF LAMINATED WOOD BEAMS
· It is earthquake-resistant. It has been observed that it is more sturdy and suitable for earthquakes, since it absorbs the tensile and compressive force better than reinforced concrete and steel structures.
· Even though it is a very light wooden material, it has a capacity to carry heavy loads. It is lighter than steel that has the same load-carrying capacity.
· It is more resistant to fire and has a higher load-carrying capacity during fir than other structure types. Carbon occurring on the surface of the wood creates a layer against fire and slows down the burning. Laminated wood girders burn only 2 cm in 30 minutes. This makes it possible for the girders to keep serving as bearing element and supports the building for hours during fire. Newly developed boron-based paints can definitely prevent the wood from burning.
· Modern dry solid wooden products make it possible to manufacture high quality prefabricated constructional elements.
· It is economical. It takes a short time to assemble it. It has a low maintenance cost.
· It is a breathing material.
· It has cost advantages over traditional building materials.
· Laminated wood beams merge easily with concrete, steel and other stone constructional elements.
· It is an aesthetic and high quality wooden product. It is a decorative constructional element.
· It allows designing original spaces. In large and single space buildings such as auditoriums, theatre and concert halls, education buildings and buildings for product demonstration/sales, it allows building of all geometrical structures such as geodesic dome, normal dome, pyramid, vault, etc.
· Individual designs can be made using solid modeling, and elements of large scale can be produced in covered areas, and assembled in construction site to achieve a high quality and excellent finishes.
· It has a very low maintenance cost. Proper and periodical maintenance makes it an immortal constructional element.
· It can be recycled and reused without any additional cost.
· It is kiln dried (its operation is minimized).